The leaning tower of Pisa

Monday, December 17, 2012

D-Day (delivery day)

At 5:07 A.M. I got a call from the hospital.  "Can you be here in an hour?" The nurse asked. "Sure thing," I said.  So, I woke Bill up, then went to tell my parents who were both snoring very loudly in the guest bedroom.  Bill then called his parents to tell them D-Day has begun!  So we started to get ready for the hospital.  Before we left the house, my dad had his photo shoot.  He took a million of the same picture/pose, "just for safety".  Then Bill had to go up to the clubhouse to grab something.  I dropped him off at the front door where he began searching for an open door.  He ended up going around to the back of the building.  He was gone for a long time!  Probably about 15 minutes.  I had started to get worried about him because it was really dark and he wasn't answering his phone.  I almost drove home to pick my dad up so he could go search for Bill; I was afraid he fell and sprained his ankle or something.  Suddenly, Bill appeared.  It was 6:36 A.M.  So much for being there in an hour!
We arrived at Labor and Delivery at 7:05 A.M.  After drawing labs and starting the IV, the nurse started the pitocin at 7:40 A.M.  Every half an hour the nurse came in and turned up the pitocin drip.  Each time the contractions got a little more intense, but weren't really very painful.  We were all trying to catch a nap because exhaustion was in the forecast.  Brett, Reid, Dave and Lynne showed up around 10:30 A.M.  The boys decided to make a video of the "delivery" and post it on YouTube.  I tried to stop it, but finally succumbed   Here is the final cut of the video.

Around noon, Dr. Chalmers showed up and checked my progress.  I was fully effaced and dilated only to a 2.  So, he broke my water and said, "Welp, get comfortable.  See you around midnight. Good luck!"  As soon as he left, OH MY FREAKING HECK!  The contractions went from a 3 to a 27 on a scale from 0-10 just like that!  I told the nurse, "Um, ya, pretty sure I'm ready for the epidural NOW!"  Apparently, my blood was too thin and nobody made note of it prior to the water breaking.  The anesthesiologist said, "Sorry, we can't do an epidural."  "EXCUSE ME! CAN YOU REPEAT THAT PLEASE!? I DON'T THINK I HEARD YOU CORRECTLY!"
I suppose I don't need to tell you that the next few hours were pretty freaking painful! It was a team effort to get this unprepared mama to the point of delivery.  I had not taken any birthing classes or anything--I planned on an epidural and "coasting" through delivery!  I don't believe in giving birth naturally!  That's what drugs were invented for!  Thanks to Bill, my mom, dad, and Lynne for all of your efforts to ease my pain during delivery.  I really appreciate you guys!  I'm sorry you had to see me like that!  In my eyes I was screaming bloody murder!
The nurse told me that when I felt like pushing to let her know.  Around 2:45 P.M., I felt like pushing so I sent my dad out for the nurse.  Nobody seemed to really sense the urgency I was feeling!  This baby was coming out!  Before I knew it I had like 5 nurses barking orders at me, but I was so delirious from the pain, I was very terrible at doing what they were telling me to do--put your leg here, stop pushing, breath...blah blah blah--HOLY SHIT did you just tell me to quit pushing!?  I don't think that is humanly possible! Then, Dr. Chalmers walked in, put on his gown, got down in the baby exiting area, a couple of pushes, and out came Baby Girl Wilkey at 3:01 P.M.  What a relief!  Now everyone was crowding around the baby while the doctor was stitching me up.  By the way, placenta is really gross, just saying.
It took me a few minutes to gain my composure, which was perfectly fine because everyone was fussing with the baby.  To be honest, I didn't really feel very exhausted, just relieved to be done!  What a cute baby girl! 6 lbs 15 oz. and 19.5 inches long.  She looked just like Bill!



1 comment:

  1. 1. That sounds horrible. I'm so sorry!!!

    2. Placentas ARE SO GROSS! I've only seen a picture but I was horrified. No one ever tells you these things in high school health classes!

    3. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete


July 10,2010